Wednesday 21 April 2004
CDK4 forms a complex with cyclin D. The complex phosphorylates RB, allowing the cell to progress through the G1 restriction point.
amplification and/or overexpression in tumors
- liposarcomas (#16160477#)
- atypical lipomatous tumor/well-differentiated liposarcoma (ALT-WDLPS) (#16160477#)
- dedifferentiated liposarcoma (DDLPS) (#16160477#)
mutations in tumors
- pulmonary carcinoma (lung cancer)
- CDK4-associated melanoma (#16419059#)
The combination of MDM2 or CDK4 shows 100% sensitivity and 97.5% specificity for the diagnosis of low-grade osteosarcoma. (#20601938#)
- MDM2 and CDK4 immunostains therefore reliably distinguish low-grade osteosarcoma from benign histological mimics, and their combination may serve as a useful adjunct in this difficult differential diagnosis. (#20601938#)
- Parosteal osteosarcoma and low-grade central osteosarcoma are two types of low-grade osteosarcoma that show similar clinical behaviors, histological features, and genetic background (ie, amplified sequences of 12q13-15, including MDM2 and CDK4).
- Low-grade osteosarcoma is often confused with benign lesions.
Immunohistochemical analysis of MDM2 and CDK4 distinguishes low-grade osteosarcoma from benign mimics. Yoshida A, Ushiku T, Motoi T, Shibata T, Beppu Y, Fukayama M, Tsuda H. Mod Pathol. 2010 Jul 2. PMID: #20601938#
Sirvent N, Coindre JM, Maire G, Hostein I, Keslair F, Guillou L, Ranchere-Vince D, Terrier P, Pedeutour F. Detection of MDM2-CDK4 Amplification by Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization in 200 Paraffin-embedded Tumor Samples: Utility in Diagnosing Adipocytic Lesions and Comparison With Immunohistochemistry and Real-time PCR. Am J Surg Pathol. 2007 Oct;31(10):1476-1489. PMID: #17895748#
Shimada S, Ishizawa T, Ishizawa K, Matsumura T, Hasegawa T, Hirose T. The value of MDM2 and CDK4 amplification levels using real-time polymerase chain reaction for the differential diagnosis of liposarcomas and their histologic mimickers. Hum Pathol. 2006 Sep;37(9):1123-9. PMID: #16938516#
Muthusamy V, Hobbs C, Nogueira C, Cordon-Cardo C, McKee PH, Chin L, Bosenberg MW. Amplification of CDK4 and MDM2 in malignant melanoma. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2006 May;45(5):447-54. PMID: #16419059#