Wednesday 5 June 2013
Engrailed homeobox transcription factors
bladder cancer (#23434148#)
- Engrailed-2 (EN2) transcription factor is expressed in, and secreted by, bladder cancer cell lines and patient tumour specimens, justifying an evaluation of urinary
- EN2 as a diagnostic biomarker in bladder cancer using archived samples from an established biospecimen collection.
- In patients with NMIBC, urinary EN2 was detected in most cases with an overall sensitivity of 82% and specificity of 75%.
- The sensitivity for stage Ta and T1 tumours was 71% and 76%, respectively, and 94% for stage T2+ tumours. This compares favourably with existing markers.
- The sensitivity for tumour grades 1, 2 and 3 was 69%, 78% and 87%, respectively.
- Urinary EN2 has the potential to be a more sensitive and specific protein biomarker for NMIBC than currently available tests.
Expression of Engrailed-2 (EN2) protein in bladder cancer and its potential utility as a urinary diagnostic biomarker. Morgan R, Bryan RT, Javed S, Launchbury F, Zeegers MP, Cheng KK, James ND, Wallace DM, Hurst CD, Ward DG, Knowles MA, Pandha H. Eur J Cancer. 2013 Feb 21. doi:pii: S0959-8049(13)00081-6. 10.1016/j.ejca.2013.01.019 . PMID: #23434148#
Engrailed homeobox transcription factors as potential markers and targets in cancer. McGrath SE, Michael A, Pandha H, Morgan R. FEBS Lett. 2013 Mar 18;587(6):549-54. doi: 10.1016/j.febslet.2013.01.054 . PMID: #23395604#