p16+ oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma
Tuesday 7 September 2010
These results suggest that p16 immunohistochemistry alone is the best test to use for risk stratification in oropharyngeal SCC.
Distant metastasis (DM) (24211084)
- With good loco-regional control, disease failure in p16-positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma (OPSCC) mainly results from distant metastasis (DM).
- In a study, the 2-year post-DM PFS in the p16-positive group was 20% (95% CI: 8-32.5%, p=0.003). (24211084)
- The 3-year post-DM disease-specific survival (DSS) estimate in the p16-positive patients was 16% (95% CI: 7-18%). (24211084)
- The DM pattern did not differ remarkably between p16-positive and negative OPSCC patients in our practice. (24211084)
- In p16-positive OPSCC with pulmonary oligometastatic disease, curative intent treatment and optimized locoregional control for the index primary prolonged survival. (24211084)
oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma
- HPV-associated oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma
Distant metastasis in p16-positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: a critical analysis of patterns and outcomes. Sinha P, Thorstad WT, Nussenbaum B, Haughey BH, Adkins DR, Kallogjeri D, Lewis JS Jr. Oral Oncol. 2014 Jan;50(1):45-51. doi : 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2013.10.007 PMID: 24211084 (Free)
p16 positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma:an entity with a favorable prognosis regardless of tumor HPV status. Lewis JS Jr, Thorstad WL, Chernock RD, Haughey BH, Yip JH, Zhang Q, El-Mofty SK. Am J Surg Pathol. 2010 Aug;34(8):1088-96. PMID: 20588174